Disclaimer: these pics are not great, but I hope you get the general idea
Thursday morning during preschool I was looking around my playroom and was kind of disgusted about how bad my baseboards were looking...so I decided I was giving them a face lift!
so I pushed all of the furniture to the middle of the room so I could repaint them, and then my mind started working...
The Barbie house could use a fresh coat of paint too, and while I'm at it...how about red for the roof!
then, while I was painting said baseboards, I noticed all the dings in the wall...so out came the spackle...and since I'm gonna have to paint anyway, why don't we just change the whole color...
I love the green apple color...but I didn't love it in this room. It's a bright color, but it actually made the room dark...perhaps it was just a bit too much of such a bold color. So, I started at the bottom with white...
When I first started this blue color, it honestly looked white, and I got scared that there wouldn't be enough contrast for me, but I just kept going
On one of the walls I have a ledge, and I really DO NOT like it, it's a weird height, and so I was worried if I did molding below, it would look wierd, or even if I went right up to it, it would cut the room in half, so I decided on a pattern that I hoped would kind of camoflauge it, and still look good!
I used 3 1/2 inch mdf, and went all the way around the room, leaving a 9 inch space between the two boards ( It was originally going to be 8 inches, but then we were running into light switches, so I adjusted my plan, and we went 9.
Then I did the vertical boxes every 8 inches apart on the top section, and every 18 1/2 inches on the bottom. My vertical mdf were 2 1/2 inches...that's a whole other story!The idea was to have 3 top boards in the space of every 2 bottom boards.
I had previously done the mdf baseboards when we originally finished this room 4 years ago, so at least that part was done.
And here is what it looks like after:
I know that ledge would blend in a little better if there wasn't something on top of it...but hey, if it's there, I might as well use it right?
A kind of hidden close up, and I'm thinking that shelf would be really cute red too, but then my buckets wouldn't show, and then I'd have to re-paint them, and then......................
it never ends.
Seriously, this was a HUGE project...and the fact that I started Thursday afternoon, and had to be done by Tuesday morning didn't make it any easier.
Hubby helped a ton with this one...otherwise I'd still be down there working!
I'm still not sure if it was worth all the work, but maybe that's because the memories of caulking are still fresh in my mind. I figure it cost about $150.00 in paint (3 gallons), caulk (4 tubes), wood (6 16 footers, and 20 10 footers).
so worth it or not, yay, it's done, and I really do like it!
do it yourself day @ a soft place to land
Talented Tuesday @ My Frugal family